We have a brand new location & host hotel in Midtown Manhattan for the 2018 BAR! You now have a whole new area of the city to explore, along with a variety of new skate routes available for the event.
The New York Marriott East Side (Website Here)
525 Lexington Ave (btw 48th & 49th), New York, NY 10017
It’s just 6 short blocks or 1 subway stop from Grand Central Station. There is also a “weekday only” entrance/exit at 47th (1.5 blocks from hotel)
ROOM RATES (only $10-$15 more than downtown):
Rates Available: August 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th
(rates are “per night”, not including taxes)
(destination fees have been waived)
RESERVATIONS can be made two ways (PLEASE READ “Important Info” below before booking):
1. The Marriott’s BAR Reservation Site:
https://goo.gl/siYtQ8 (case sensitive)
2. By Telephone: 800-228-9290 or 212-755-4000 (Mention you are with the Empire Skate Club & Big Apple Roll – staying at the NY Marriott East Side)
This is another beautiful (and historic), 4-star Marriott hotel, with great reviews and the best quality/price we could find. Skate Group-ups will be 1 block away.
It’s a very popular area because within 1 mile of the hotel you will find: Times Square – Grand Central Station – 42nd Street – Broadway – Central Park – Bryant Park – Empire State Building – 30 Rock – Carnegie Hall – Chrysler Building – 5th Avenue – Grand Army Plaza (Tuesday Night Skate Start Point) – MOMA (Museum of Modern Art) – Radio City Music Hall – Rockefeller Center – Roosevelt Island – St Bartholomew’s Church – St Patrick’s Cathedral – Saint Thomas Church Fifth Avenue – The United Nations – The Whispering Gallery (at Grand Central) – And the Museum of Sex!! (1.4m)
IMPORTANT HOTEL INFO (Please read BEFORE booking!!):
1. BOOK EARLY! Again, this is a very popular area of Manhattan in the summer and THIS HOTEL WILL DEFINITELY BOOK UP! Reservations are fully REFUNDABLE up until 6pm, 3 days before your check-in, so Book It!! The earlier our rooms are booked, the better our chances they will still have rooms available to add to our reservation block.
2. VERY IMPORTANT: There’s a new craze sweeping all hotels lately and that’s the “resort” or “destination” fee (“resort” in Florida, “destination” in NYC!). Even though these destination fees are waived for our group ($25 per night plus taxes), they will still be added when you make your reservation online. The system just isn’t very sophisticated. We’re NOT happy about this but it can’t be changed. So “when/if” you see an extra $25, $50 or $75 added to your reservation, the hotel has guaranteed the group that we will NOT be charged these fees (as long as you book thru our group).
They are also being nice enough to manually send a second reservation confirmation with the correct billing information in it. You’ll receive this a couple of days after booking. But if you have questions about this or want verification, call or email our event manager directly:
Sarah Jane Wyman – Marriott Event Manager
Direct (212) 715-4229
3. WARNING: You may be able to find some slightly lower rates in the area or use various discount programs with the Marriott or other hotels, but you will most likely be hit with destination fees, and sometimes they’re hidden. And booking through our group helps support the BAR & Empire Skate Club.
4. They’ve only given us a few rooms for Wednesday, August 1st. So if you’re thinking of coming early for the Wednesday Night Skate, book ASAP. Let us know if unavailable and we’ll try to get more…
5. Guests can bring 1 standard size bike to their rooms (1 per room) (you’re welcome Jan!!).
6. When you book online, on the third page after you choose your room type, you will see a link to “Get the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card and receive a $200 statement credit after first card purchase”. If you don’t already have this card it’s a great opportunity to come to NYC and get $200 back (most likely on your next statement). And the first year’s fee is waived (hint, hint). And don’t forget to collect your Marriott rewards points for your stay by enrolling for free in the Marriott Rewards Program! (BAR get nothing for this….).
7. Free in-room WiFi is only available to Marriott Rewards members (Yet another reason to sign up for the Rewards card). But if you don’t want another credit card you can still sign up for Marriott Rewards for free (and get your Rewards points and free WiFi): https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
8. The deadline for booking a room through the group is July 5, 2018 (if available).
9. Sunday checkout time is 1pm for everyone! No scrambling for late checkout…
If you have any problems or find that no rooms are available, please contact Pete by e-mail or cell phone: email@example.com or 914-262-7950.
Send all other questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Don’t forget to join our BAR Facebook page to get THE MOST CURRENT info & updates: https://www.facebook.com/events/1900883706889126
And visit our new BAR website at www.bigappleroll.org for our full schedule (TBD), photos, videos and more.
WE CAN’T WAIT TO SKATE WITH YOU THIS SUMMER!!!
The Big Apple Roll Committee
Empire Skate Club of New York
www.bigappleroll.org | www.empireskate.org